We're officially in the race to begin gathering our paperwork, which is estimated to take 4-5 months. I know!!!
And because I am so anal, my three-ring binder has been ready to go for over a week now. The colored tabs I've organized, labeled & sorted are sure to assist in speeding up the process, no? In any event, from the outside we appear to know exactly what we are doing.
A gaggle of gathering & notarizing lies in our future...
- multiple copies of birth certificates from PA & DC
- multiple copies of marriage certificates (I've already been passed around the Vegas courthouse and still have no records)
- citizen & immigration I600a form completion
- FBI fingerprint check
- Hague Training (followed by an exam)
- required reading
- criminal records check
- reference letters
- proof of financial stability
- letters from employers
- home visit(s) from our social worker to ensure it is suitable for a child
That will hopefully lead to a big fat stamp of approval and our packet will then begin its journey to Ethiopia for all to be translated, reviewed again and submitted to the Ethiopian courts for approval.