Monday, January 4, 2010

It's a Bittersweet Day

This morning began with an unexpected semi-urgent conference call at work. Seconds into the call my Blackberry, which was sitting on my desk, began ringing from various sources who would normally not call me at work. After each call, the red message light blinks. My stomach flips - as I'm fully aware of the messages on the other end, yet don't want to face it. I hung up from my conference call, went to the bathroom, shed a tear(s) and came back to check my messages. I was correct. I applaud Angie's strength. She will be missed beyond words.

A family friend lost her battle with breast cancer today. She was far too young; three years younger in fact than the majority of doctors and insurance companies begin scanning women. Her children are too young to face this, as is her husband. Our hearts break for them and their extended family and friends.

Ladies, don't wait until you're 40 for a mammogram. My little self alone personally knows of a handful of women who are/were under 40 and faced the evil creature of breast cancer. One friend currently fighting for her life went from stage one to four in a matter of months! She has a two year old daughter and is under 40. Her goal right now is to document anything possible to leave with her daughter, in fear of the toddler not remembering her later. Her strength is commendable, as was Angie's.

The (very) sweet part in this bittersweet day? This amazing woman and her husband passed court today. She is a MOM!!!!! This was their second attempt at passing court and they had all the Gladney Girls holding their breath this morning & afternoon - all awaiting the final decision. The tears began flowing when I read that her status on Facebook was simply "a mom". Huge congratulations being sent their way!
You guys are going to be the most awesome of parents. I'm so happy we've met! - xo

3 comments:

  1. thinking of you. i am so sorry for your loss. i understand and i wish i didn't. i'm sending you lots of hugs. i know you will celebrate your dear friend's life and honor her and her strength. it is too much to bear sometimes. full circle in this day.
    so much love to you!!!!!!! always, my dear tamara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful post and such a lovely tribute to your friend. I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of love today. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you and so sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete