We started with a little birthday coffee to get going and are heading out shortly for some birthday croissants on our morning birthday walk. Skipping ahead to the pm, a seafood dinner is in our future which will conclude the birthday celebrations. (and there may be a little birthday US Open squeezed in there too)
I would also like to give a shout out to Poppy, who is turning 90 today! We'll see you next weekend at the festivities. Also, our nephew Ryan is celebrating his big day today. Enjoy!
On this day in history, 9/6/1970, Jimi Hendrix held his last concert.
A few more notes of interest to this decade...
- the Billboard #1 song was "War" by Edwin Starr
- Richard Nixon was President (and met with Elvis in 1970)
- The Mary Tyler Moore show premieres on CBS (9/70)
- Top Box Office Movie was Love Story
- a loaf of bread cost $0.58
- NYC subway fare was $.30
- average college tuition $3,500 (MIT highest at $10k+)
- cost of a new home $26k+
- IBM introduces the "Floppy" disk for storage
- Frank Zappa, Miles Davis and Blood Sweat and Tears are top performers
- New words: preppie, hassle, fast-food, rip-off, Fortran, blahs, put down
- Top Selling Fiction: Love Story, Erich Segal
- Top Selling NonFiction: Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex but Were Afraid To Ask, David Reuben, M.D.
- Fashion/Art: mood rings, string art, leisure suits, bellbottoms, pet rocks and disco